Finding out there is mold in your home is a frightening discovery that can be costly too. It could be a health threats to you and your family. There are some things you should about mold damage.
Mold does pose a variety of health problems, but there are some myths to be aware of. First of all, the term “toxic mold” can cause a high level of anxiety. However, only a small percentage of spores produce toxins, and special circumstances are required for even these spores to cause a toxic environment. Furthermore, the presence of allergies likely does not mean you’ll be allergic to mold as research has shown mold is not known to cause allergies.
What Not to Do
The most important thing you should avoid when you find that there is mold in your home is cleaning it yourself. Aside from the dangers exposure can present, those who do not have training executing this task run the very real risk of disturbing the pores and causing them to contaminate the oxygen in the home. Worse yet, these airborne spores can quickly infiltrate other areas of the home.
While it seems as though bleaching the mold would kill the harmful bacteria, this simply is not true. All you are really doing is changing the color of the mold. In fact, bleach is comprised of mostly water, and dousing an impacted area with this substance only helps the mold in your home to become an even bigger problem.
What to Do
If you suspect there is mold in your home, the first thing you should do is have it tested. When you find the levels are high, it is time to call in the help of the professionals. They have both the tools and knowledge to rid you of the problem the first time.